Employment opportunities have been opened for Filipino English teachers who want to work in another country. The surge of openings for English mentors is expected to provide more opportunities for Overseas Filipino Workers
Last year, a global survey conducted showed that the Philippines ranked second among nations in Asia in regard to the highest English Proficiency. Thus, it comes with no surprise that neighboring countries are looking to hire Filipinos to teach them the language.
The Philippine-China bilateral agreement now allows qualified Filipino teachers to legally teach in China. Around 2,000 Filipino English mentors would be initially deployed in the next two years, according to the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE).
The monthly salary offered by China was $1,200, with hiring and deployment through a government-to-government arrangement. Under the agreement between two governments, only applicants with the following qualifications shall be allowed to get hired:
- Filipino teachers must be employed in private schools/institutions and are NOT currently employed in public schools and instituions.
- Must have a Bachelor’s degree from normal universities, in education or English Language from institutions accredited by the Ministry of Education of the People’s Republic of China.
- Must have a valid certificate of registration above intermediate level and a professional license issued by the Philippine Board Of Licensure Examination for Professional Teachers
- Must have no criminal record
- Must be in good health condition
The State Administration of Foreign Experts Affars (SAFEA) of China shall guide the local administration of foreigners working in China. The said department shall also provide POEA the list of duly accredited HEIS and ensure strict implementation of the standard employment contract.
Meanwhile, the Thai government has also reached an agreement with the Philippines to hire Filipino teachers to teach students in primary and secondary levels in government schools. Filipinos who will be hired under the program will receive 25,000 baht per month or Php45,000 inclusive of housing. The round trip airfare, work permit fees and personal accident insurance shall be covered by the Thailand Government.
According to Labor Secretary Silvestre Bello III, “Filipino teachers are the preferred nationals needed by the government of Thailand because of the excellent English proficiency and competence of our teachers.”
Source: Thailand to hire more Filipino English teachers – Manila Bulletin Rules on hiring of Filipino teachers in China released – Manila Times